This program is made possible by
Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders
Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission with funding in part from the
New Jersey Historical
Creative Writing and Artwork Contest for Middle School and High School Students in Middlesex County, NJ
Exciting News! The East Brunswick Museum, located at 16 Maple Street in East Brunswick, NJ, is having a creative writing and artwork contest inspired by the paintings, in their collection, done by local artist James Crawford Thom. Thom was a painter, who lived during the 1800's. Locally, he studied at an artist colony in Perth Amboy and lived in the Old Bridge Village section of East Brunswick for a short time. His grandson, Harold Hoffman, served as mayor of South Amboy and also Governor of New Jersey. The contest is open to Middle School and High School students in Middlesex County, NJ. There will be two cash prizes awarded: first prize for a written work and first prize for artwork will be $100 each.
- All submissions, whether written works or artwork, must be inspired by a choice of painting(s), in the East Brunswick Museum's collection, done by artist, James Crawford Thom. The James Crawford Thom paintings, in the East Brunswick Museum's collection, can be seen at the Museum, during their open hours, which are Saturday and Sunday, 1:30 to 4pm or on their website: www.EastBrunswickMuseum.org Note: check the Museum's Facebook page to check open hours.
- Written submissions can be short stories, essays or poems and must be no longer than 500 words.
- Artwork submissions must be original artwork using any medium including wet and dry mediums, sculpture, photography or models.
- Each submission requires an entry form, available on the East Brunswick Museum's website or at the Museum, during open hours.
- Written and artwork submissions will be judged by Museum board members and relatives of James Crawford Thom.
- All submissions must be suitable for all audiences.
- Participants are limited to two submissions.
- Questions about the contest and written submissions can be emailed to: EBMuseuminfo@gmail.com
- Entry submission deadline will be on James Crawford Thom's 185th birthday, March 22, 2020. If submitting in person, submissions must be dropped off during Museum hours which are Saturday and Sunday 1:30 to 4pm. Note: check the Museum's Facebook page to check open hours. Written submissions can be emailed to EBMuseuminfo@gmail.com
- Prize winners will be announced on the East Brunswick Museum's Facebook page on April 19, 2020. Prizes will be awarded at the Museum's James Crawford Thom exhibit event on April 26, 2020 which will be held from 2pm to 4pm.
The East Brunswick Museum is having a James Crawford Thom exhibit event on April 26, 2020 at 2pm and the contest prizes will be awarded at the event. Everyone is welcome to attend to learn more about this talented local artist.