Generally, membership dues for the East Brunswick Museum are for the period Jan.-Dec.; however, dues are accepted year-round for new members. Anyone joining or renewing a membership will receive a discount on museum-sponsored fundraising events and invitations to the special events and programs.
Yearly membership dues are: $15.00/individual; $25.00/family; $10.00/Senior or Student; or $300.00-Life member and $500.00 - Corporate. For further information or directions, please contact he East Brunswick Museum (732) 257-1508 or email@example.com
The East Brunswick Museum is a private non-profit corporation, supported by memberships and donations. Admission is free, however, donations are always welcome. Proceeds from dues, donations and fundraisers are used for ongoing operating expenses.
The Museum is located in the Historic Village of Old Bridge in East Brunswick Township. It was the former home of the Simpson Methodist Church, for one hundred years. It was built in 1862. The building was purchased by EB Township for use as a museum in 1977. It had its grand opening on September 12, 1980, and has been open to the public on every Saturday and Sunday from 1:30pm to 4:00pm. (It is closed on Holidays). Hours may be reduced for the summer months.
Our permanent collection includes pottery from the Bissett, Morgan and Van Wickel Stoneware Factories, which were all located in the Village of Old Bridge. We also have tile from the Old Bridge Enameled Brick and Tile Company, which was located near the Village. Many of the tiles in the Holland Tunnel were made in this plant, along with most of the tile used in the subways of New York City.
James Crawford Thom, a 19th century landscape artist & area resident, used the Village of Old Bridge in several of his paintings. The East Brunswick Museum has an extensive collection of his paintings, including "Winter in Old Bridge". James Crawford Thom was born in 1845 in Scotland. He studied at an artist colony in Perth Amboy along with Louis Comfort Tiffany, (of Tiffany stained-glass fame). He moved to the Old Bridge section of East Brunswick in the 1870's and died here in 1898. He is buried in the Chestnut Hill Cemetery. Further information is available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._C._Thom
The Museum houses an extensive collection of early pictures of the homes and important places of interest in East Brunswick and the Village of Old Bridge. Replicas of a Victorian parlor, kitchen & sewing room and antique farming implements are all part of our permanent display. Indian artifacts, collected in or near the Village, were picked up within walking distance of the Museum. Another display includes the personal papers and memorabilia of Governor Harold Hoffman, including an extensive collection of elephant statues.
Donations of items to the East Brunswick are accepted with the approval of the Board of Trustees. If you or your family have items to donate, please contact the Museum at 732-257-1508 for further information.
This program is made possible by
Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders
Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission with funding in part from the
New Jersey Historical